Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Dalmeny, Main Street, War Memorial

War Memorial (20th Century) (1922)

Site Name Dalmeny, Main Street, War Memorial

Classification War Memorial (20th Century) (1922)

Canmore ID 50528

Site Number NT17NW 152

NGR NT 14403 77434

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/50528

Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Bluesky International Limited 2025. Public Sector Viewing Terms

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Dalmeny
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County West Lothian

Archaeology Notes

NT17NW 152 14403 77434

Meml [NAT]

OS (GIS) MasterMap, June 2009.

Activities

Project (1997)

The Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (http://www.pmsa.org.uk/) set up a National Recording Project in 1997 with the aim of making a survey of public monuments and sculpture in Britain ranging from medieval monuments to the most contemporary works. Information from the Edinburgh project was added to the RCAHMS database in October 2010 and again in 2012.

The PMSA (Public Monuments and Sculpture Association) Edinburgh Sculpture Project has been supported by Eastern Photocolour, Edinburgh College of Art, the Edinburgh World Heritage Trust, Historic Scotland, the Hope Scott Trust, The Old Edinburgh Club, the Pilgrim Trust, the RCAHMS, and the Scottish Archive Network.

Field Visit (8 October 2002)

Stone column with lion sejant on top. The column is on a stepped up octagonal base, the memorial being in the style of a market cross. Below the lion are four shields on which are a saltire (S. side), a lion rampant (W. side), St Michael (N. side) and the Royal arms [1st + 4th ¼s of shield contain a lion rampant, 2nd ¼ three lions passant guardant, 3rd ¼ a harp] (E. side). Between each shield is a thistle.

Inspected By : T.S.

Inscriptions : On bronze plaque on S. side of top section of base:

IN MEMORY OF THE MEN / OF DALMENY PARISH WHO / FELL IN THE WAR 1914-1918 [+ list of names]

On bronze plaque on N. side of top section of base:

IN MEMORY OF / THOSE WHO FELL / IN THE WAR 1939-1945 [+ list of names]

Signatures : None

Design period : 1920: memorial and 1st panel. Post 1945: 2nd panel

Information from Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (PMSA Work Ref : EDIN1163)

Project (February 2014 - July 2014)

A data upgrade project to record war memorials.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions