Edinburgh, Cramond, Kirk Cramond, Cramond Tower
Tower House (Medieval)
- Council Edinburgh, City Of
- Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
- Former Region Lothian
- Former District City Of Edinburgh
- Former County Midlothian
NT17NE 4 19092 76963
(NT 1909 7695) Cramond Tower (NR) (remains of)
OS 6" map (1968)
Cramond Tower probably dates from the late 15th - early 16th century; it measures 21'8" N-S by 24'9" E-W, with a circular stair-tower projecting from the SE angle. It is now free-standing, four storeys high, but at sundry periods outbuildings of various heights have been erected against the N, E and W walls, though these have disappeared. It is not in a good state of preservation (N Tranter 1963). The tower must have been built by the Bishops of Dunkeld.
RCAHMS 1929, visited 1921; D MacGibbon and T Ross 1889
No change to previous information.
Visited by OS (BS) 11 December 1975
Now restored and occupied.
N Tranter 1990.
Edinburgh Field Archaeological Society were granted permission to conduct a geophysical survey at Cramond Tower. Three 20m x 20m squares were laid out and surveyed. An irregular low resistance line was recorded, and is thought to be a Roman ditch, parts of which were recorded when a pond was dug for the garden. A now unused drain from the 1680 Cramond House was also recorded in the survey.
H M D Jones 2006.