Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, Dalmeny House

Country House (19th Century), Hospital (First World War)

Site Name Edinburgh, Dalmeny House

Classification Country House (19th Century), Hospital (First World War)

Alternative Name(s) Dalmeny House Policies; Dalmeny Park; Sundial; Dalmeny Auxiliary Hospital

Canmore ID 50417

Site Number NT17NE 37

NGR NT 16838 78051

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/50417

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Dalmeny
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County West Lothian

Archaeology Notes

NT17NE 37.00 NT 16838 78051.

(NT 1683 7804) Dalmeny House was built in 1814-7 for Archibald, 4th Earl of Rosebery, whose grandson, the 5th Earl, was Prime Minister 1894-5. It is a large mansion in Tudor style, two storeys high with a central three-storeyed tower on the N front.

SDD List 1964

Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes in Scotland Vol 5, 55-61.

Site recorded by GUARD during the Coastal Assessment Survey for Historic Scotland, 'The Firth of Forth from Dunbar to the Coast of Fife' 1996.

Architecture Notes

NT17NE 37.00 16838 78051

See also

NT17NE 37.01 16276 77918 Edinburgh, Dalmeny House, Walled Garden

NT17NE 37.02 c. 168 780 Edinburgh, Dalmeny House, Sundial

NT17NE 47 Edinburgh, Dalmeny House, Dalmeny Home Farm, Laundry

48 Edinburgh, Dalmeny House, Stables

49 Edinburgh, Dalmeny House Policies, 1 Long Green

50 Edinburgh, Dalmeny House, Barnbougle Gatelodge

51 Edinburgh, Dalmeny House, Chapel Gatelodge

52 Edinburgh, Dalmeny House, Burnshot Gatelodge

53 Edinburgh, Dalmeny House, Edinburgh Gatelodge

54 Edinburgh, Dalmeny House, East Cragie Gatelodge

55 Edinburgh, Dalmeny House, New Burnshot

94 Edinburgh, Dalmeny House, East Craigie Farm

155 Edinburgh, Dalmeny House, Home Farm

156 Edinburgh, Dalmeny House, Gardener's Cottage

157 Edinburgh, Dalmeny House, Leuchold

158 Edinburgh, Dalmeny House, Boundary Wall

159 Edinburgh, Dalmeny House, Hind Home

160 Edinburgh, Dalmeny House, Poultry Offices

161 Edinburgh, Dalmeny House, Cottages

162 Edinburgh, Dalmeny House, Offices

260 Edinburgh, Dalmeny House Policies, 2 Long Green

261 Edinburgh, Dalmeny House Policies, 3 Long Green

262 Edinburgh, Dalmeny House Policies, 4 Long Green

NT17NW 47 Edinburgh, Dalmeny House, Leuchold Gatelodge

48 Edinburgh, Dalmeny House, Newhalls Gatelodge

49 Edinburgh, Dalmeny House, Long Craig Gatelodge

OWNER: Earl of Rosebery

ARCHITECT: William Wilkins 1814-17

William Atkinson -designs after 1806

Thomas White -design for park 1815

William Burn -designs after 1808

Jeffry Wyatt -designs 1814

David Bryce -terraces 1853

James Morison -furniture 1840s

East Wing restoration

NMRS REFERENCE:

PLANS:

Dick Peddie & MacKay, Edinburgh East Wing restoration

Attic 2, Bin 7, Bag 3 Dick Peddie, MacKay & Jamieson

1948

Dick Peddie & MacKay, Edinburgh alts

Attic 2, Bin 6, Bag 1 Dick Peddie, MacKay & Jamieson

1949

Dick Peddie & MacKay, Edinburgh alts

Attic 2, Bin 5, Bag 3 Dick Peddie, MacKay & Jamieson

1949

NMRS Printroom:

Inglis Photograph Collection, Acc No 1994/90

2 exterior views (3 prints)

A view of Dalmeny House, photograph, 13 1/2" x 16 1/2", framed and glazed. C5.

Activities

Project (1997)

The Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (http://www.pmsa.org.uk/) set up a National Recording Project in 1997 with the aim of making a survey of public monuments and sculpture in Britain ranging from medieval monuments to the most contemporary works. Information from the Edinburgh project was added to the RCAHMS database in October 2010 and again in 2012.

The PMSA (Public Monuments and Sculpture Association) Edinburgh Sculpture Project has been supported by Eastern Photocolour, Edinburgh College of Art, the Edinburgh World Heritage Trust, Historic Scotland, the Hope Scott Trust, The Old Edinburgh Club, the Pilgrim Trust, the RCAHMS, and the Scottish Archive Network.

Field Visit (8 October 2002)

Standing draped female figure looking down to her right. On her right side is a small column around which is a garland.

Inspected By : T.S.

Inscriptions : None

Signatures : None

Information from Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (PMSA Work Ref : EDIN1160)

Field Visit (8 October 2002)

Above the entrance ( on the E. side of the building ) are three heraldic panels. Above the ground floor windows to the south of the entrance is a band of seven panels, the 1st, 4th and 7th carved with the Rosebery lion holding a rose in its right forepaw. Below the 1st floor bay window to the north of the entrance is a band of seven panels, the 1st & 7th carved with the Rosebery lion, the 3rd & 5th carved with a rose.

Inspected By : T.S.

Inscriptions : None

Signatures : None

Design period : 1814-1817

Information from Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (PMSA Work Ref : EDIN1161)

Field Visit (8 October 2002)

Standing bronze sculpture of King Tom, the foundation stallion of Baron Mayer de Rothschild's stud. The horse has his head up and his ears pricked. He stands on a bronze plinth attached to a rectangular pedestal made up of blocks of stone.

Inspected By : T.S.

Inscriptions : On west side of pedestal (in incised letters):

. KING . TOM .

Signatures : On top of plinth in front of near hind hoof (in incised letters):

BOEHM fecit 1874

On east side of plinth (in incised letters):

YOUNG & CO / ART FOUNDERS / PIMLICO SW.

Design period : 1874

Information from Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (PMSA Work Ref : EDIN1162)

Project (March 2013 - September 2013)

A project to characterise the quantity and quality of the Scottish resource of known surviving remains of the First World War. Carried out in partnership between Historic Scotland and RCAHMS.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions