Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

We have updated our mapping software and are trying out some new background mapping layers. Please let us know what you think by clicking here.

Edinburgh, Riccarton

Gate Pier(S) (Period Unassigned), Tower House (Medieval)

Site Name Edinburgh, Riccarton

Classification Gate Pier(S) (Period Unassigned), Tower House (Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) Riccarton House

Canmore ID 50266

Site Number NT16NE 10

NGR NT 1743 6920

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/50266

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Currie
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Archaeology Notes

NT16NE 10.00 1743 6920.

NT16NE 10.01 18165 69525

(NT 1743 6920) Riccarton (NR)

OS 6" map (1957)

Riccarton House was originally a small 16th century tower, extended in the 17th century, which was altered and added to in 1823-7 and completely demolished in 1956.

At NT 1772 6881, are a pair of 17th century gate piers which are said to be in their original position.

RCAHMS 1929, visited 1921; SDD List 1964; D MacGibbon and T Ross 1889 Visited by OS (JTT) 19 August 1965

Architecture Notes

Riccarton House demolished 1956, gatepiers and sundial removed to Somerset by Mrs Sudlow (information from Mr J Tweedie, Currie)

ARCHITECT: William Burn, 1823 - additions to Tower

NMRS REFERENCE:

National Library Sketches of Scottish Scenery No 27 Ms 508 1 drawing

Activities

Photographic Survey (1956)

Photographic survey by the Scottish National Buildings Record in 1956.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions