Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Monks Rig, Font Stone

Cross Base (Early Medieval)

Site Name Monks Rig, Font Stone

Classification Cross Base (Early Medieval)

Canmore ID 50169

Site Number NT15NE 3

NGR NT 1758 5919

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/50169

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Administrative Areas

  • Council Midlothian
  • Parish Penicuik (Midlothian)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District Midlothian
  • Former County Midlothian

EARLY MEDIEVAL CARVED STONES PROJECT (24 August 2016)

Monks Rig, Nine Mile Burn, Midlothian, cross-base

Measurements: L 0.97m, W 0.71m, H 0.38m

Stone type:

Place of discovery: NT 1758 5919

Present location: on Monks Rig beside the footpath.

Evidence for discovery: first recorded in 1794. The path was formerly known as the Monks’ Road, and in 1808 ‘the ornamented top’ of the cross was lying at the foot of the hill.

Present condition: worn, and there are usually coins left in the socket.

Description

This is a roughly dressed rectangular cross-base, with a rectangular hollowed socket, 0.51m by 0.31m and some 0.23m deep. It is quite plain but appears from the 1808 record to have held an ornamented cross.

Date range: uncertain.

References: OSA 1794 vol 10, 420; Coles 1899, 334-6.

Compiled by A Ritchie 2016

Archaeology Notes

NT15NE 3 1758 5919.

(NT 1738 5919) Font Stone (NAT) Cross Socket (NR)

OS 6" map (1962)

The "Font Stone", on the crest of Monks Rig, is a roughly dressed rectangular stone, 3 ft 2 ins x 2 ft 4 ins x 1 ft 3 ins, with a rectangular hollow, tapering towards the bottom, cut out on the top side. It is the socket stone of a cross, the ornamented top of which was said to be still lying at the bottom of the rig in 1808.

In 1833, two shepherds levered over the stone and found a few copper coins, the date and subsequent history of which are unknown (J J Wilson 1891).

RCAHMS 1929, visited 1913; F R Coles 1899; OSA 1794

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions