Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Grahame's Walls

House (Medieval)

Site Name Grahame's Walls

Classification House (Medieval)

Canmore ID 49953

Site Number NT14NE 14

NGR NT 1614 4642

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/49953

Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2024.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Scottish Borders, The
  • Parish Newlands
  • Former Region Borders
  • Former District Tweeddale
  • Former County Peebles-shire

Archaeology Notes

NT14NE 14 1614 4642.

(NT 1614 4642) Grahame's Walls (Site of)

OS 6" map (1967)

Nothing remains above ground at this site, the name may perhaps be connected with a castle belonging to that John de Graham who gave the patronage of the church of Newlands to Dunfermline Abbey in 1317. The account of Tweeddale given by Macfarlane (1908) evidently compiled towards the end of the 17th c, states "Here are digged up great foundation stones, and some remainders of the ditches that fortified the house are to be seen to this day. It is reported and very probable that the church (of Newlands - NT14NE 4) and Whiteside Tower (NT14NE 16) were built out of the ruins."

RCAHMS 1967, visited 1958

There is no trace of any structure here.

Visited by OS (JTT) 24 August 1964

Activities

Sbc Note (21 March 2016)

Visibility: This was the site of an archaeological monument, which may no longer be visible.

Information from Scottish Borders Council

Previously also listed under duplicate site NT96SW 510 -CANCELLED. HES (LCK) 11.6.2024

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions