Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Tinnis Castle

Filter

No Available Filters

Save Search

Log in to save your search
Oblique aerial view of Tinnis Castle, taken from the S.
 compare
Oblique aerial view centred on the remains of the fort and castle with the remains of the cultivation terraces and enclosure adjacent, taken from the NW.
 compare
Oblique aerial view centred on the remains of the fort and castle with the remains of the cultivation terraces and enclosure adjacent, taken from the W.
 compare
Oblique aerial view centred on the remains of the fort with the remains of the fort, castle and enclosure adjacent, taken from the W.
 compare
Oblique aerial view centred on the remains of the fort and castle with the remains of the cultivation terraces and enclosure adjacent, taken from the SE.
 compare
Copy of colour slide showing view of Tinnis Castle, Peeblesshire - view from near roadside (NW)
NMRS Survey of Private Collection
Digital Image only
 compare
Scanned image of oblique aerial view centred on the remains of the fort with the remains of the fort, castle and enclosure adjacent, taken from the WSW.
 compare
Oblique aerial view of Tinnis Castle and fort, building, platform, settlement and track, burnt mound, enclosure and cultivation terraces under snow, looking SSW.
 compare
Engraving of Tinnis Castle from the NW. Titled 'Tinnis or Thanes Castle. Situated on the summit of a hill, on the north side of the burn of Pow Sail, which separates the church of Drumelzier from the grave of Merlin Caledonicus, near the head of Drumelzier haugh in Twedale, where this small rivulet falls ino Tweed. From the town of Drumelzier to the Castle a road has been cut, winding round the hill, which is very steep. This strong hold in former times belonged to the ancientThanes of Twedale, from whom it seems to have got its name. In the reign of Malcolm II. this Castle appears to have belonged to William de Tweedie, Lord Baron of Drumelzier. It is now the property of - Hay, Esq. of Drumelzier. This view is taken from the N. W. 1788.' [Adam de Cardonnel, "Picturesque Antiquities of Scotland," 1788.]
 compare
Oblique aerial view of Tinnis Castle, taken from the SSW.
 compare
Oblique aerial view of the remains of the forts, cultivation terraces and the enclosure, taken from the NNW.
 compare
Oblique aerial view.
 compare
Oblique aerial view.
 compare
General oblique aerial view of Henry's Brae fort, Tinnis Castle and fort, enclosure and building, platform, settlement and track, looking NE.
 compare
Oblique aerial view.
 compare
Oblique aerial view centred on the remains of the fort and castle with the remains of the cultivation terraces and enclosure adjacent, taken from the NW.
 compare
Oblique aerial view of the remains of the forts, cultivation terraces and the enclosure, taken from the W.
 compare
Oblique aerial view.
 compare
Oblique aerial view.
 compare
Scanned image of view from S.
 compare
Oblique aerial view of the village and the remains of the forts, cultivation terraces and enclosure, taken from the NE.
 compare
General oblique aerial view of Henry's Brae fort, Tinnis Castle and fort, enclosure and building, platform, settlement and track, looking NNE.
 compare
Oblique aerial view of the remains of the forts, cultivation terraces and the enclosure, taken from the W.
 compare
Oblique aerial view of the remains of the forts, cultivation terraces and the enclosure, taken from the NNW.
 compare