Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

We have updated our mapping software and are trying out some new background mapping layers. Please let us know what you think by clicking here.

Killernie Castle

Tower House (Medieval)

Site Name Killernie Castle

Classification Tower House (Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) Killearnie Castle

Canmore ID 49708

Site Number NT09SW 7

NGR NT 0321 9243

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/49708

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Fife
  • Parish Saline
  • Former Region Fife
  • Former District Dunfermline
  • Former County Fife

Archaeology Notes

NT09SW 7 0321 9243.

(NT 0321 9243) Killernie Castle (NAT) (Ruins)

OS 6" map, (1948).

Killernie Castle was built in 1592.

Name Book 1854.

Killernie Castle - Although this structure is mainly represented by foundations sufficient is left to show that it was a late 16th century tower. The main block was oblong on plan, and some 41' - 10' from E-W by 21' -6' from N-S. At the NW and SE angles were circular towers, but these are now very ruinous. On the south side of the castle there appears to have been an enclosure, heavily revetted on the western side, where the ground falls.

RCAHMS 1933.

The remains of this Z- plan tower are as described by RCAHMS 1933. The walls are c 0.8m thick and 0.5m high, except for the angle towers which attain a height of 3-4 m. The remains of a strong enceinte wall run south from the tower for c 76 m and turns east for a short distance close to the crest of the steep river bank.

Visited by OS (JD) 3 July 1953.

The ruins of Killearnie Castle are situated on a rise 250m SSE of Killearnie steading. All that survives is part of a rectangular block with towers at the NW and SE angles, and the entrance in the NE re-entrant angle. A revetment wall extends southwards from the castle, but it is not clear whether this was associated with the occupation of the building.

The rectangular block has 3 gun loops surviving at each of the NW, NE and SE angles respectively.

(Cleish91 520)

Visited by RCAHMS (SH) October 1991.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions