Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Bo'ness, Carriden House

Country House (19th Century), Hospital (First World War), Tower House (16th Century)

Site Name Bo'ness, Carriden House

Classification Country House (19th Century), Hospital (First World War), Tower House (16th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Carriden House Policies; Carriden Auxiliary Hospital

Canmore ID 49602

Site Number NT08SW 8

NGR NT 02504 80834

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/49602

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Falkirk
  • Parish Bo'ness And Carriden
  • Former Region Central
  • Former District Falkirk
  • Former County West Lothian

Archaeology Notes

NT08SW 8.00 02499 80834

NT08SW 8.01 NT 01883 80750 West Lodge

NT08SW 8.02 NT 02082 80724 Inner Lodge

NT08SW 8.03 NT 02170 80766 Walled Garden

NT08SW 8.04 NT 02156 80804 Gardener's House

NT08SW 8.05 NT 02373 80759 Stables

NT08SW 8.06 NT 02471 80792 Burial Enclosure

NT08SW 8.07 NT 02685 80860 Ice-house

NT08SW 8.08 NT 02475 80990 Memorial; Gate

(NT 02499 80834) Carriden House (NR)

OS 6" map, (1971)

Carriden House is a much-altered house on the L-plan, dating at least from the 17th century, and may be as early as the later 16th century, (RCAHMS 1929) with a large modern mansion attached. The old portion lies to the E and is 5 storeys high, rubble-built. Small turrets are corbelled out at the angles. The roof has been reduced to a lower pitch. Most of the windows have been enlarged, but many gun-loops still remain.

RCAHMS 1929, visited 1926; N Tranter 1962.

A considerably altered mansion house, with an eastern late 16th early 17th century block, and a number of 19th century additions to W and N. Date stones in window lintels denote various periods of construction or alterations (e.g. 1602, 1682 and 1863 among others. The house does not appear to have been of any great strength, and has probably only served as a domestic building throughout its existence.

Visited by OS (J L D) 16 January 1953.

During the building of the west wing a Roman stone with an eagle carved upon it was found. This stone was built into one of the walls but positioned so that it faced inwards. (See NT08SW 7).

Information from Linlithgowshire Journal and Gazette, 8 March 1974,7.

Carriden House is as described. The present owners do not know the position of the carved stone.

Visited by OS (B S) 8 March 1974.

Photographed by the RCAHMS in 1980.

Visible on RCAHMS air photographs WL 2277-83.

(Undated) information in NMRS.

Activities

Project (March 2013 - September 2013)

A project to characterise the quantity and quality of the Scottish resource of known surviving remains of the First World War. Carried out in partnership between Historic Scotland and RCAHMS.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions