Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Ach' An Duin

Broch (Iron Age)(Possible)

Site Name Ach' An Duin

Classification Broch (Iron Age)(Possible)

Canmore ID 4957

Site Number NC46SE 1

NGR NC 4601 6053

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/4957

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2022.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Durness
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Sutherland
  • Former County Sutherland

Archaeology Notes

NC46SE 1 4601 6053.

NC46SE 1.01 4601 6053 Building

(NC 4601 6053) Broch (NR) (remains of)

OS 6"map, (1961)

The heavily robbed remains of a broch, partially overlain by a ruined cottage, on the end of a rocky ridge. It has measured 26ft in diameter within a wall 11ft thick. The entrance is from the N, along the ridge, and has an almost intact guard-chamber, 8ft long, on the right. No details of the passage are visible, but 24ft to the SE the top of another chamber, filled with debris, is exposed.

RCAHMS 1911; J Horsburgh 1870.

The broch is very dilapidated, 15m across with walls 3.7m wide. The guard chamber is still as described by the RCAHMS, but the second chamber was not located.

Visited by OS (W D J) 21 April 1960.

The remains of the broch are as described and illustrated by the previous authorities; the remains of a mural cell, choked with debris, are visible in the S quadrant.

Revised at 1:10,000.

Visited by OS (N K B) 28 November 1978.

Activities

Publication Account (2007)

NC46 1 ACH AN DUIN

NC/4601 6053

Probable broch in Durness, Suther-land, standing on the end of a rocky ridge and partly overlaid by a cottage [2, 278]; very little walling remained in 1909 [3]. The entrance faces north, along the ridge, and a doorway to a guard chamber can be seen in the right wall of the passage 1.5m (5ft) from the exterior. The cell itself appeared, from the description, to be almost intact [3]; it was 2.44m (8ft) long and 1.30m (4ft 3in) high above its present floor. About 7.32m (24ft) along the wall clock-wise from the entrance (i.e. to the south-east) the top of another mural cell could be seen in 1909 and was noted again in 1978 [1].

Sources: 1. NMRS site no. NC 46 SE 1.00: 2. Horsburgh 1867, 278: 3. RCAHMS 1911a, 54, no. 156.

E W MacKie 2007

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions