Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Blackness Village, St Ninian's Chapel

Chapel (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Blackness Village, St Ninian's Chapel

Classification Chapel (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 49473

Site Number NT08SE 10

NGR NT 0528 8003

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/49473

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
© Copyright and database right 2017.

Administrative Areas

  • Council Falkirk
  • Parish Bo'ness And Carriden
  • Former Region Central
  • Former District Falkirk
  • Former County West Lothian

Archaeology Notes

NT08SE 10 0528 8003

(NT 0528 8003) St. Ninian's Chapel (NR) (Site of)

OS 6"map, Linlithgowshire, 1st ed., (1856) and (1938)

St. Ninian's Chapel, which stood at the E end of Blackness village, was destroyed at the Reformation.

Name Book 1856.

Traces of the altar of St. Ninian's Chapel are still visible. Although no graveyard is known to have existed a skeleton was dug up nearby when a cottage was being built. (Since there are no cottages near NT08SE 7 it must be assumed that this is a reference to the OS siting of 1856.)

Scot Antiq 1902.

A Celtic cult figure (NT08SE 12) may have come from this site (but see NT08SE 7).

A Ross 1967.

The site of the Chapel is in the grounds of a house (the restored cottage). No remains exist.

Visited by OS (J L D) 19 January 1953.

This was destroyed at the time of the Reformation. Traces of an altar were apparently still visible in 1902. By 1953 no remains of the chapel were visible. This site is now within cottage gardens and no remains are visible.

Site recorded by GUARD during the Coastal Assessment Survey for Historic Scotland, 'The Firth of Forth from Dunbar to the Coast of Fife' 24th February 1996..

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions