Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Valleyfield Estate, Valleyfield House

Country House (18th Century) - (19th Century), Pediment(S) (16th Century)

Site Name Valleyfield Estate, Valleyfield House

Classification Country House (18th Century) - (19th Century), Pediment(S) (16th Century)

Alternative Name(s) High Valleyfield, Newmills; High Valleyfield House

Canmore ID 49435

Site Number NT08NW 15

NGR NT 0053 8721

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2024.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Fife
  • Parish Culross
  • Former Region Fife
  • Former District Dunfermline
  • Former County Fife

Archaeology Notes

NT08NW 15.00 0053 8721

NT08NW 15.01 NT centred on 00497 87392 Walled Garden

NT08NW 15.02 NT 005 872 Archaeological Survey

NT08NW 15.03 NT 00463 87327 Icehouse

NT08NW 15.04 NT 00836 86970 Rustic Bridge 1

NT08NW 15.05 NT 00730 87122 Rustic Bridge 2

NT08NW 15.06 NT 00381 87252 Stables

Published as High Valleyfield House (NAT)

OS 6" map, Fifeshire, 1st ed., (1853)

No trace.

Visited by OS June 1953.

Architecture Notes


Demolished pre 1939

'Red Book' of Humphry Repton shows intended improvements to the park at Valleyfield.

Samuel Butler - erecting hot-house c.1801


Scottish Record Office

19.9.1809: Carron Co. Invoice for 8 adjusted Engish Weights

Edinburgh Room, Edinburgh Central Library

Scots Magazine - April 1811 - 1 engraving

National Museum of Antiquities

Model of Valleyfield House.


Field Visit (9 August 1932)

158(a). Architectural Fragments, Valleyfield House.

Two incomplete pediments showing respectively two sets of initials, J.P. and I.[E], and the date 1581, as well as a roundel bearing the initials J.P. and G.S., have been inserted into the ruinous east wall of Valleyfield House. Part of a third pediment, built into the inner side of the east wall of the garden near by, shows the upper half of a shield surmounted by helm, wreath, mantling and crest, with an illegible motto on a label over all. The shield has borne an inescutcheon, the charges on which are indecipherable, between three unicorns' heads erased, for Preston of Valleyfield, who built the earlier mansion from which these relics have been taken.

RCAHMS 1933, visited 9 August 1932.


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions