Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Dunfermline, St Catherine's Wynd, West Port

Gate (14th Century)

Site Name Dunfermline, St Catherine's Wynd, West Port

Classification Gate (14th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Pittencrieff Glen

Canmore ID 49396

Site Number NT08NE 7

NGR NT 08910 87317

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/49396

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Fife
  • Parish Dunfermline
  • Former Region Fife
  • Former District Dunfermline
  • Former County Fife

Archaeology Notes

NT08NE 7 0891 8731

(NT 0891 8731) West Port (NR) (Site of)

OS 1:500 map, (1896)

West Port, Dunfermline: This, the first mentioned port of the burgh, is noticed in a charter of Robert, Abbot of Dunfermline, dated 1326. It was later called the West Port, to distinguish it from the Burgh Ports afterwards built.

It stood in the middle of St Catherine's Wynd and consisted of an archway 11' in height and 7' in breadth. Above the archway there was an apartment known as "the Cross Chamber", which was entered by a door in its wall facing the kirkyard. The height of the building from the street, according to an old note, was 29'.

The port was removed in 1780.

E Henderson 1897; J M Webster 1953.

No further information.

Visited by OS (D W R) 18 February 1974.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions