Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Dunfermline, Townhill, Gallows Bank

Gallows (18th Century)

Site Name Dunfermline, Townhill, Gallows Bank

Classification Gallows (18th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Gallowgaite

Canmore ID 49353

Site Number NT08NE 31

NGR NT 09897 88278

NGR Description NT c. 09897 88278

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map


Administrative Areas

  • Council Fife
  • Parish Dunfermline
  • Former Region Fife
  • Former District Dunfermline
  • Former County Fife

Archaeology Notes

NT08NE 31 c. 0996 8643.

(Area: NT 0996 8843) The ancient gallows of the burgh of Dunfermline was erected about 1 mile NE of the town on the road to Townhill Colliery, at a place named Gallows Bank. The remains of the one last used lay for some time on the roadside a little above the entrance to Head Well, but it was taken away about the middle of the 18th century.

P Chalmers 1844-59.

The 'Gallowgaite' is mentioned in 1602.

E Henderson 1879.

No further information.

Visited by OS (D W R) 18 February 1974.


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions