Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Dunfermline, High Street, Market Cross

Market Cross (19th Century)

Site Name Dunfermline, High Street, Market Cross

Classification Market Cross (19th Century)

Canmore ID 49346

Site Number NT08NE 24

NGR NT 09108 87473

NGR Description Formerly at NT 0902 8738

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/49346

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Fife
  • Parish Dunfermline
  • Former Region Fife
  • Former District Dunfermline
  • Former County Fife

Archaeology Notes

NT08NE 24 09107 87474

Formerly stood at NT 0902 8738

(NT 0911 8747) Site of Market Cross (NR)

OS 1:1056 map, Fifeshire, Dunfermline, (1854)

The first mention of a Market Cross at Dunfermline occurs in the Burgh Records under date 1499, but there can be little doubt that there was one as early as 1396, when the Burgh received its charter from the abbot.

In 1620 the cross was removed and a new one, resembling the crosses of Edinburgh and Aberdeen, was erected in the "Hie Gate" (High Street) opposite the foot of "Croce Wynde".

It appears to have been an octagonal "house" c.12' in diameter and c.10' high, built around a pillar stone 20' high, supporting a unicorn.

E Henderson 1879.

The cross was taken down in 1752, but the central pillar was preserved. This is a circular column, c.8' high, surmounted by a lion rampant holding a shield bearing a St Andrew's Cross. "It is to this day in the NE corner of the house at the cross."

A Mercer 1828.

The circular shaft seems to be the oldest part of the re-erected cross, and bears the date 1695. The base and capitals are new and the unicorn is doubtful as it has all been cemented at the last restoration in 1868. J W Small 1900.

(NT 0912 8746) Market Cross (NR)

(NT 0911 8747) Market Cross (NR) (site of)

OS 1:1250 map, (1969)

Cross now stands in a garden on the S side of Maygate.

Information from OS field surveyor, 15 May 1989.

The Cross has now been moved and re-erected at the foot of Cross Wynd (its former position). The circular shaft now has the date 1992 incised into it and the top step is inscribed "Re-erected by public subscription 5th August 1868"

Information from Mr I Fleming in a letter to RCAHMS dated 28 July 1997

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions