Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Pitfirrane Castle

Clubhouse (20th Century), Garden (16th Century)(Possible), Golf Club (20th Century), Tower House (Medieval)

Site Name Pitfirrane Castle

Classification Clubhouse (20th Century), Garden (16th Century)(Possible), Golf Club (20th Century), Tower House (Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) Crossford; Dunfermline Golf Club; Petfurnane; Pitirrane Castle

Canmore ID 49343

Site Number NT08NE 21

NGR NT 06332 86113

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/49343

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Fife
  • Parish Dunfermline
  • Former Region Fife
  • Former District Dunfermline
  • Former County Fife

Archaeology Notes

NT08NE 21.00 0634 8612

(NT 0634 8612) Pitfirrane (NR)

OS 6" map, (1967)

Pitfirrane Castle, a composite structure, consists of a 15th century tower house, 30 3/4' N-S by 53', which was heightened in 1583, when a new wing was built to the S. In the late 17th century, a further large addition, four storeys in height, was made on the E tower and wing. A "yett", probably dating from 1583, has been set up across the path leading to the gardens. There is late 16th century sundial on the lawn SW of the mansion.

RCAHMS 1933

The name occurs as "Petfurnane" in a charter of 1437, and as several charters of this period were signed "apud Petfurnane", there must have been a mansion on the estate at that time.

A H Millar 1895.

Pitfirrane is a large mansion, as described by the RCAHMS, to which a number of 19th century additions have been made. It is now the Dunfermline Golf Club House. The sundial has been removed.

Visited by OS (J L D) 27 March 1961.

Possible 16th century garden.

N Hynd 1984.

Architecture Notes

NT08NE 21.00 06332 86113

NT08NE 21.01 NT 06545 86562 Gatepiers

NMRS REFERENCE:

ARCHITECTS: Wardrop & Anderson - new entrance doorway 1888

Andrew Scobie - bay window 1875

R.L. Hay - alts. to entrance lodge 1888

John Paterson - castellated screen to farm office - not executed and addition to castle also not executed 1811

NMRS Photographic survey of designs for Pitfirrane House and estate including design for proposed alterations C. 1730; designs for additions 1811; designs for alterations by R Rowand Anderson (Wardrop and Anderson 1888) and many designs for estate and farms buildings.

National Library of Scotland Ms 6509 (Copied 1970 Inventory 26)

(Undated) information in NMRS.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions