Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Dunfermline, Pittencrieff Park, Malcolm Canmore's Tower

Tower (14th Century)(Possible)

Site Name Dunfermline, Pittencrieff Park, Malcolm Canmore's Tower

Classification Tower (14th Century)(Possible)

Alternative Name(s) Tower Hill

Canmore ID 49341

Site Number NT08NE 2

NGR NT 08771 87311

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/49341

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Fife
  • Parish Dunfermline
  • Former Region Fife
  • Former District Dunfermline
  • Former County Fife

Archaeology Notes

NT08NE 2 0876 8731.

(NT 0876 8731) Malcolm Canmore Tower (NR) (Ruin)

OS 25" map, (1926)

Malcolm Canmore's Tower: The remains on Tower Hill consist of the core of the W and S walls of a rectangular structure which has measured c. 33' x 12 1/2' within walls c. 10' in thickness. The facing stones have been removed and there is nothing to given any indication of date.

RCAHMS 1933.

Traces of some architectural structure, supposed to be the foundations of Malcolm Canmore's Tower, can still be seen on Tower Hill. Millar quotes a description by Fordun, writing towards the close of the 14th century, of Malcolm III's marriage in 1070 and suggests that the topographical description of the King's "fortified place" given by Fordun accords more with Tower Hill than any other place in the neighbourhood.

A H Millar 1895.

Malcolm Canmore's Tower: The facing courses have disappeared leaving the character of the building indeterminate but the masonry may be of 12th - 13th century date. From measurements taken at various periods it seems tolerably clear that the walls are the remnants of a strong tower which covered the entire area of the site (i.e. the top of Tower Hill).

A Reid and W Kirk 1908.

The remains of the tower are as described.

Visited by OS (DWR) 18 February 1974.

Excavations around the ruins showed they probably date from the 14th century. The site had been quarried, apparently before construction. The site was extensively disturbed in the 19th and 20th centuries.

Sponsor: Carnegie Dunfermline Trust, SUAT.

D Perry and D Bowler 1989a.

In the past 23 years much archaeological work has taken place in Dumferline, Fife. A wealth of information has been uncovered on the medieval burgh, revealing aspects of its development, society, trade and industry. In particular, the recently restored Abbot House has been found to contain a complex architectural and archaeological history.

D Perry 1999

Activities

Excavation (1989)

Excavations around the ruins showed they probably date from the 14th century. The site had been quarried, apparently before construction. The site was extensively disturbed in the 19th and 20th centuries.

Sponsor: Carnegie Dunfermline Trust, SUAT.

D Perry and D Bowler 1989a.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions