Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Strathbrock Castle

Castle (Medieval)

Site Name Strathbrock Castle

Classification Castle (Medieval)

Canmore ID 49274

Site Number NT07SE 2

NGR NT 0575 7164

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/49274

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council West Lothian
  • Parish Uphall
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District West Lothian
  • Former County West Lothian

Archaeology Notes

NT07SE 2 0575 7164.

(NT 0575 7164) Strathbrock Castle (NR) (site of)

OS 6" map (1970)

On the burnside, immediately S of Broadyetts farm, is a small conical knowe, said to be the site of an ancient castle or peel tower, of which nothing now remains. Mr G Gray (of Broadyetts) removed some of its walls some years ago when making improvements to his land.

Name Book 1856

The Earl of Buchan notes that the ruins of Strathbrock Castle were visible at the beginning of the 18th century. Primose notes that Castlehill, on the opposite side of the road to Broadyetts, was traditionally the site of the castle, and while excavating there "lately" several carved stones were found, and the foundations of the castle wall were discovered running obliquely acros the Market Road (Main Street).

Large heaps of oyster shells have been found in the garden of Castlehill, also a Medieval tripod pot was found in 1887 on the opposite side of the burn from Castlehill; a late 16th century sword has also been found.

Primrose also suggests that the "stanks" in Fivestanks (NT 064 722) and Stankards (NT 060 712) were fishponds, associated with the castle. The first proprietor, mentioned in the early 12th century, is Freskyn, the Fleming to whom the manor and lands were given by David I. In 1425, the proprietor was Sir W Douglas. It does not seem to have been entirely demol- ished in 1454, like the neighbouring Douglas castles (e.g. Abercorn NT07NE 2) for in 1524 it was owned by J Dingwall, rector of Strathbrock (Uphall) Church. (The mention of a small conical knowe in the ONB is suggestive of a motte, which would be appropriate for a 12th century date. Later stone buildings could have been built on the motte.) Buchan 1792; J Primrose 1898

The site of this castle falls in a built up area, and there are no longer any suggestions of a motte.

Visited by OS (JP) 20 March 1974

OS (JP) confirmed.

Visited by OS (BS) 3 November 1975

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions