Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Linlithgow, 1 Kirkgate

House (18th Century)

Site Name Linlithgow, 1 Kirkgate

Classification House (18th Century)

Canmore ID 49255

Site Number NT07NW 79

NGR NT 00191 77209

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/49255

Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Bluesky International Limited 2025. Public Sector Viewing Terms

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Linlithgow, general view, showing Linlithgow Palace, St Michael's Church and Loch.  Oblique aerial photograph taken facing north.
Linlithgow, general view, showing Linlithgow Palace, St Michael's Church and Loch.  Oblique aerial photograph taken facing north.View of nos. 1, 2, 3 Kirkgate from W.Linlithgow, 1 Kirkgate, NT07NW 79, Ordnance Survey index card, RectoView of nos. 1, 2, 3 Kirkgate from S.View of nos. 1, 2, 3 Kirkgate from W.View from E.View of nos. 1, 2, 3 Kirkgate from W.View of nos. 1, 2, 3 Kirkgate from N.View of nos. 1, 2, 3 Kirkgate from N.View of nos. 1, 2, 3 Kirkgate from W.View of nos. 1, 2, 3 Kirkgate from S.View of nos. 1, 2, 3 Kirkgate from SE.

Administrative Areas

  • Council West Lothian
  • Parish Linlithgow
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District West Lothian
  • Former County West Lothian

Recording Your Heritage Online

Kirkgate

Steep processional route between palace and church and the cross. In a rose garden is the bronze statue of John Hope, 7th Earl of Hopetoun, and first Governor-General of Australia, 1911, by Sir George Frampton. Early 19th-century classical County Hall, possibly by William Burn, renovated, along with the Town House (now collectively known as the Burgh Halls), in 1962 by Rowand Anderson, Kininmonth & Paul. Nos 1-3 Kirkgate, c.1700 or earlier, is an attractive group with painted window and door surrounds. Road and square repaved in 1997 in diorite from Kentallen and flagstone from Caithness.

Taken from "West Lothian: An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Stuart Eydmann, Richard Jaques and Charles McKean, 2008. Published by the Rutland Press http://www.rias.org.uk

Archaeology Notes

NT07NW 79 00191 77209

These date from the 17th century and are one-storeyed with basement, rubble-walled, gabled, crow-stepped, with slated roof.

SDD 1963.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions