Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Shieldhill Hotel

Hotel (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Shieldhill Hotel

Classification Hotel (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Shieldhill House

Canmore ID 48987

Site Number NT04SW 9

NGR NT 00652 40415

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/48987

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council South Lanarkshire
  • Parish Libberton
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Clydesdale
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Archaeology Notes

NT04SW 9 00652 40415

The nucleus of Shieldhill, now a hotel (Shieldhill Hotel Guide, anon, undated), is of 16th-17th century date, large additons being made in 1820 and later (SDD List, undated).

Originally, it was a square keep with immensely thick walls, the entrance being by a round tower on the N side. The ground floor of the keep now forms the entrance hall of the hotel, and its second storey, now the sitting room was used originally as the chapel, part of an altar being discovered in 1820, together with a cavity which had held a piscina.

G V Irving and A Murray 1864

Generally as described, the tower (probably of 16th century date) is incorporated in the present mansion and is now completely restored and modernised.

Visited by OS (JD) 27 June 1955

Shieldhill is as described. There is an intramural stairway near the modern entrance in the SW. Parch marks in the lawn 30m SE of the keep could indicate a rectangular structure 29.0m NW-SE and 14.0m transversley.

Visited by OS (DWR) 22 July 1971

Architecture Notes

NMRS REFERENCE

NT04SW 9.01 00664 40458 Shieldhill, Stables

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions