Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Our online mapping services, aerial photography and satellite imaging layers are undergoing scheduled maintenance on Sundays in June. Service might be intermittent or unavailable on 6, 20 and 27 June. Thank you for your patience.

 

High House Of Edmonston

Tower House (Medieval)

Site Name High House Of Edmonston

Classification Tower House (Medieval)

Canmore ID 48957

Site Number NT04SE 6

NGR NT 07040 42140

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/48957

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council South Lanarkshire
  • Parish Biggar
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Clydesdale
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Archaeology Notes

NT04SE 6 07040 42140.

(NT 0704 4214) High House of Edmonston (NR) (Rems of)

OS 6" map (1957)

This three-storeyed tower, which was built probably c.1500 or 50 years earlier, measures 26' by 20'6", and has the stair contained in a round turret projecting from the N angle. It has formed part of a courtyard, the gateway and a piece of wall of which still stand at the SE end. A second house was built in the courtyard, but when it was pulled down in 1815 on the erection of a new house, the outline and buildings of the courtyard were obliterated.

The tower was intact until 1872, when the tenant dynamited part of it because of its condition, reducing it to its present state.

D MacGibbon and T Ross 1899

A small square tower composed of rubble masonry and having a circular stair tower to the NE corner. The walls are 1.2m thick and the building is now in a poor state of preservation.

The ground floor comprised a single room with the entrance from the NE, the entrance to the stair tower being on the left of the doorway. The lower storey had been vaulted.

Revised at 1:2500.

Visited by OS (JD) 28 June 1955 and (DWR) 16 August 1971

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions