Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Cardon

House (Medieval)

Site Name Cardon

Classification House (Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) 'Old House Or Tower Of Cardon'

Canmore ID 48714

Site Number NT03SE 17

NGR NT 0983 3309

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/48714

Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2024.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Scottish Borders, The
  • Parish Broughton, Glenholm And Kilbucho
  • Former Region Borders
  • Former District Tweeddale
  • Former County Peebles-shire

Archaeology Notes

NT03SE 17 0983 3309

(NT 0982 3309) Cardon (NR) (Site of)

OS 6" map, (1967).

Cardon (Site). No structural remains now survive of the old house or tower of Cardon, the building apparently having disappeared well before the middle of the 19th century. A few fragments of pink sandstone dessings, one of them wrought with a quirked edge-roll of 16th century date, are, however, incorporated in the existing farm buildings, and it seems reasonable to suppose that these fragments once formed part of the old house which, in the 15th and 16th centuries, was the residence of the Bowmakers of Cardon.

RCAHMS 1967, visited 1958.

As described by RCAHMS.

Visited by OS (DWR), 7 September 1972.

Activities

Sbc Note (21 March 2016)

Visibility: This was the site of an archaeological monument, which may no longer be visible.

Information from Scottish Borders Council

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions