Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Kilbucho, Old Parish Church And Graveyard

Burial Ground (Period Unassigned), Church (18th Century)

Site Name Kilbucho, Old Parish Church And Graveyard

Classification Burial Ground (Period Unassigned), Church (18th Century)

Canmore ID 48709

Site Number NT03SE 12

NGR NT 06538 33756

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/48709

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2022.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Scottish Borders, The
  • Parish Broughton, Glenholm And Kilbucho
  • Former Region Borders
  • Former District Tweeddale
  • Former County Peebles-shire

Archaeology Notes

NT03SE 12 06538 33756

For Kilbucho Manse (NT 06576 33700), see NT03SE 34.

(NT 0653 3375) Kilbucho Church (NR)

(remains of) (NAT)

OS 6" map, (1967).

Old Parish Church, Kilbucho. This church has been a single-chambered oblong building measuring 45' 4" from E to W by 24' 2" from N to S within walls about 2' 7" thick. Both gables are complete but the side walls are reduced, the N wall to an average height of 2' and the S wall to 5'; the masonry is of rubble.

The church of Kilbucho is said to have been dedicated to St Bega, a disciple of St Aiden and St Hilda, and, although the church itself comes on record only at the beginning of the 13th century, the foundation may be of considerable antiquity. The church was rebuilt in the early 17th century, and again in the 18th century, to which period the existing fragments presumably belong. It was abandoned in or shortly before 1810, when the parish of Kilbucho was united with the combined parish of Boughton and Glenholm.

J W Buchan and H Paton eds. 1925-7; RCAHMS 1967, visited 1958.

Generally as described by RCAHMS. At the W end of the building are two slight turf banks, possibly the remains of an earlier building, or a wall attached to the W gable of the church.

Revised at 1/2500.

Visited by OS (WJ) 9 March 1964 and (DWR) 11 August 1972.

Activities

Sbc Note (15 April 2016)

Visibility: Standing structure or monument.

Information from Scottish Borders Council

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions