Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).


Motte (Medieval), Coin(S) (Roman)

Site Name Biggar

Classification Motte (Medieval), Coin(S) (Roman)

Alternative Name(s) Gillespie Moat

Canmore ID 48647

Site Number NT03NW 19

NGR NT 0394 3774

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council South Lanarkshire
  • Parish Biggar
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Clydesdale
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Archaeology Notes

NT03NW 19 0394 3774.

(NT 0394 3774) Mote (NR)

OS 6" map, Lanarlshire, 1st ed. (1858).

This large artificial-looking mound, referred to by Irving as the Moat-knowe, and by Hunter as the Moat or Moathill, is situated at the W end of Biggar and commands a fine view of the surrounding country. The New Statistical Account (NSA) describes it as measuring 120 paces round at the base, 54 at the top, and 36' high, and adds that the laws may have been administered from here, and it also seems to have been used as a beacon tower. Irving adds that the ground around it has been much altered by building and road making, so any external defences may have disappeared.

Various Roman coins have been found here; the last, of Vespasian, is now owned by the Rev W Johnston, Limekilns (W Hunter 1867).

D Christison 1890; G V Irving and A Murray 1864; NSA(J Christison) 1845.

The remains of a motte standing 6.0m high with a sub- rectangular flat top measuring 34.0m E-W by 20.0m. There are slight unsurveyable traces of a possible ditch around the base.

Revised at 1/2500.

Visited by OS(RD) 25 July 1972.

This motte is named "Gillespie Moat" by the Department of Environment.

Information from Typescript list of Scheduled Monuments 1977 unpaged.


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions