Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Boghall Castle

Castle (Medieval)

Site Name Boghall Castle

Classification Castle (Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) Bog Hall

Canmore ID 48645

Site Number NT03NW 17

NGR NT 04071 36968

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council South Lanarkshire
  • Parish Biggar
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Clydesdale
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Archaeology Notes

NT03NW 17 04071 36968.

(NT 0404 3699) Boghall Castle (NR) (Remains of)

OS 6" map, (1957).

Boghall Castle, once the seat of the Fleming family, is now reduced to the remains of three towers as shown on plan, standing detached in a cultivated field S of Biggar.

The whole structure was formerly surrounded by marshes and a deep ditch. The gatehouse was situated at a salient angle of the N wall, and from old views about a century ago, was a substantial structure. The NE and NW angles of the enceinte were protected by substantial round towers, which from the remaining features, are datable to the Third Period (1400-1542) of which the castle is a large and important example. They are circular externally, 17ft in diameter. The whole enclosure measured 192ft E-W by 205ft. There was another circular tower at the SE angle, but none at the SW. A mansion house stood at the SE angle of the courtyard. It was a plain oblong structure of T-form. Its stair-tower exists, and bears a stone dated 1670 when it was probably built.

D MacGibbon and T Ross 1889.

The remains of Boghall Castle are as described.

Revised at 1:2500.

Visited by OS (RD) 12 July 1972.

Excavations have been carried out at Boghall Castle by pupils of Biggar High School from 1973-81. Work has concentrated on four areas: (a) The most northerly trench uncovered foundations of part of the gatehouse, which from pottery evidence, appears to be of 15th century date. Behind the gatehouse are the foundations of another structure. (b) The second trench, in the centre of the castle area, revealed what may have been the metalling of a courtyard, disturbed by ploughing. (c) The third trench, dug in the W part of the castle, revealed the foundations of the smaller part of an L- shaped tower house, which from pottery and coin evidence appeared to be late 15th century in date. It was demolished in 1659. (d) The fourth trench was dug on the site of the house built about 1670. The foundations of the old circuit wall of the castle were found beneath the demolition rubble of the house.

Small finds include coins, pottery etc, of 15th - 17th century date.

E Archer 1975; 1976; 1977; 1979; 1980; 1981.

Photographed by the RCAHM in 1980.

RCAHMS AP catalogue 1980.

Architecture Notes


Society of Antiquaries of Scotland Topographical Collection, Edinburgh. - 1 Lithograph.


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions