Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Airth Castle

Castle (Medieval), Hotel (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Airth Castle

Classification Castle (Medieval), Hotel (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Airth Castle Hotel; Airth House; Wallace Tower; Erth Castle

Canmore ID 48067

Site Number NS98NW 11

NGR NS 90007 86834

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/48067

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Falkirk
  • Parish Airth
  • Former Region Central
  • Former District Falkirk
  • Former County Stirlingshire

Archaeology Notes

NS98NW 11.00 90007 86834

NS98NW 11.01 90010 86802 Sundial

NS98NW 11.02 90197 86947 Gateway

NS88NE 19 89871 86870 Stables

(NS 90007 86834) Airth Castle (NR)

OS 6"map, (1966)

The family 'of Airth' is mentioned in the 13th century, but the present building is associated rather with the Bruces of Airth who had acquired the estate by the mid-15th century. A payment dated 1488 "to Rob Bruss of Ertht, be a precep, to the byggin of his place that was byrnt," tends to confirm the existence of an earlier castle and also suggests that the oldest portion of the castle is the structure rebuilt after 1488, a date which agrees with the existing architectural evidence. This early work, a square tower, 33' x 28', was added to in the following century, in the first instance by an eastward extension made early in the 16th century, and then in 1581 by the addition of a wing to the north. There is also evidence to suggest that the latter, at some time, was balanced by a wing at the W end of the main block, extending N from the N side of the old tower. Two estate plans, one dated 1721, show the building as having this wing, but if it ever existed it must have been demolished by the mid-18th century, a plan of 1762 showing the building as L-shaped. The two inward facades of the castle were subsequently masked by a new frontage in 1807. When viewed from the NW, this late frontage completely masks the tower and 16th century extensions, but the earlier work may be seen from other directions.

RCAHMS 1963, visited 1955.

Airth Castle has been largely reconstructed and is now of modern appearance, although it is possible to discern the original parts.

Visited by OS (J L D) 17 October 1953.

Architecture Notes

ARCHITECTS:

Davide Hamilton - 1806 large addition

William Stirling - 1806 large addition not executed

William Adam - desgin, not executed

William Boutchart 1721 - garden layout, not executed

AIRTH CASTLE DRAWINGS

A collection of drawings for Airth Castle and estate including a garden design by William Boutchart 1721; late eighteenth century plans for additions; designs for additions by William Stirling 1806 and David Hamilton 1806 and a design for planting apple trees in the walled garden 1829 etc.

BIBLIOGRAPHIC REFERENCE

Scottish Field, November 1952 - text and photographs

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions