Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Old Dunimarle Castle

Castle (Medieval)

Site Name Old Dunimarle Castle

Classification Castle (Medieval)

Canmore ID 48025

Site Number NS98NE 16

NGR NS 97676 85883

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/48025

Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2024.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Fife
  • Parish Culross
  • Former Region Fife
  • Former District Dunfermline
  • Former County Fife

Archaeology Notes

NS98NE 16 97676 85883.

(NS 9767 8587) Dunimarle Castle (NR) (remains of)

OS 6" map, (1967)

For the new Dunimarle Castle, see NS98NE 36.00.

All that remains of Dunimarle Castle is part of a western wall, probably a curtain, with a ruinous, vaulted tower at its N end (RCAHMS 1933) This is alleged to have been a castle of Macduff, thane of Fife; the ancient name of the estate was Dunimarle, after the Reformation it was known as Castlehill, and the old name was restored by the proprietor some time between 1839 and 1859.

NSA (written by A Duncan and J Balfour - 1839) 1845; Name Book 1859; D Beveridge 1885; RCAHMS 1933, visited 1928.

The remains consist of a small rectangular building the S gable of which is almost complete. The E wall is 2.0m high but only 4.0m of its length are now visible. The W wall is 2.3m high internally. The "tower" on the NW angle is large and beehive-shaped, the vaulting being almost complete leaving only a small hole in the top. It adopts a similar shape underground but its depth could not be ascertained due to the large amount of rubbish deposited in it. It has the appearance of an ice-house, but it looks older than the rectangular building, which seems to be of late 16th- early 17th century date. The remains are in a very dilapidated condition.

Visited by OS (J L D) 12 March 1953.

Activities

Field Visit (22 March 1928)

Dunimarl Castle, remains of.

Fully half a mile west of Culross, on the north side of the road to Kincardine-on-Forth, the site of Dunimarl Castle shows only the remains of a western wall, probably a curtain, with a vaulted tower, now ruinous, at its northern end.

RCAHMS 1933, visited 22 March 1928.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions