Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Wallhouse

Country House (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Wallhouse

Classification Country House (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 47947

Site Number NS97SE 41

NGR NS 96096 72447

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/47947

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
© Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council West Lothian
  • Parish Torphichen
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District West Lothian
  • Former County West Lothian

Recording Your Heritage Online

Wallhouse, c.1840

Romantic, castellated mansion amidst hills and trees, with generally incredible two-dimensional Gothic frontage with octagonal stairs, Gothic windows, crenellations and tall chimneystacks. Built for the Gillon family (arms in the gable above the porch), reclothed by James Maitland Wardrop in 1855. A large stained glass-window within depicts the medieval master of Torphichen. Doocot, 1840, lies, ruined, to the north-east. Luscious stonework.

Taken from "West Lothian: An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Stuart Eydmann, Richard Jaques and Charles McKean, 2008. Published by the Rutland Press http://www.rias.org.uk

Architecture Notes

NS97SE 41 96096 72447

NS97SE 42 NS 96118 72609 Dovecot

Incorporates information from cancelled site NS97SE 114

Depicted on OS 1:2500 scale map (1968) as Wallhouse Children's Home.

Information from RCAHMS (DE), March 2002

NMRS REFERENCE:

Architect: Brown & Wardrop 1855 - Wings and tower, Maitland Wardrop.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions