Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Torphichen Churchyard, Refuge Stone

Sanctuary Marker (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Torphichen Churchyard, Refuge Stone

Classification Sanctuary Marker (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Torphichen Preceptory, Refuge Stone At Torphichen Kirk; Torphichen Kirkyard, Sanctuary Stone

Canmore ID 47929

Site Number NS97SE 25

NGR NS 9684 7250

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/47929

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council West Lothian
  • Parish Torphichen
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District West Lothian
  • Former County West Lothian

Archaeology Notes

NS97SE 25 9684 7250

See also NS97SW 2, and NS97SE 12, NS97SE 22, NS97SE 30.

For Torphichen Preceptory (NS 96893 72516) and associated monuments, see NS97SE 7.

(NS 9684 7250) Refuge Stone (NR)

OS 6" map (1968)

This square sandstone pillar stands 2 1/2' high, in Torphichen churchyard. It has been shaped, the sides swelling uniformly from the ground to the top, which is 12 1/2" square. There are 5 cup marks and a 6 3/4" long channel on the E face; on the top is a circular socket 2" in diameter and 1 1/2" deep, connected with a cross-shaped channel, 6 1/2" over the arms. The latter features probably have no connections with the cup marks. It is thought to mark the centre of a privileged sancturay ground attached to the preceptory (F H Groome 1901).

(See also NS97SW 2, NS97SE 12, NS97SE 22, NS97SE 30 for stones marking the boundary of the sancutuary area).

RCAHMS 1929, visited 1924; R W B Morris 1969

As described.

Visited by OS (JLD) 8 December 1952 and (JP) 20 August 1974.

Scheduled as 'Torphichen Preceptory, refuge stone at Torphichen Kirk... a square sandstone pillar standing within Torphichen churchyard.

Information from Historic Scotland, scheduling document dated 22 February 2005.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions