Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Parkhill

House (18th Century)

Site Name Parkhill

Classification House (18th Century)

Canmore ID 47903

Site Number NS97NW 42

NGR NS 92885 78791

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/47903

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Falkirk
  • Parish Grangemouth
  • Former Region Central
  • Former District Falkirk
  • Former County Stirlingshire

Archaeology Notes

NS97NW 42.00 92885 78791

NS97NW 42.01 92824 78738 Dovecot

NS97NW 42.02 92446 78973 West Lodge

Architecture Notes

Built c.1790

ARCHITECT: William Burn, 1835 (alterations).

Situated in policies some 600m SE of the crossroads (A9 - now A803 - and A905) midway between Polmont and Laurieston. The earliest part of the existing complex was built about 1790 by James Cheape of Sauchie. This house, together with what seems to be a later extension at either end, now constitutes the NE range of the greatly extended modern mansion. Its interior has been considerably altered, but its exterior, as seen from NE and SW provides a good example of contemporary taste in small country houses. (See Inventory for architectural details.)

RCAHMS 1963, visited 1953

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions