Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Almond Castle

Tower House (Medieval)

Site Name Almond Castle

Classification Tower House (Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) Haining Castle; Vellore, The Haining

Canmore ID 47808

Site Number NS97NE 3

NGR NS 95663 77284

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2024.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Falkirk
  • Parish Muiravonside
  • Former Region Central
  • Former District Falkirk
  • Former County Stirlingshire

Archaeology Notes

NS97NE 3 95663 77284

(NS 9566 7728) Almond Castle (NR) (Remains of)

OS 6" map (1958)

Almond Castle stands on the highest point of some gently rising ground, now cultivated, and was once surrounded by a ditch, with an entrance on the S (shown on OS 6" 1865), which was no doubt associated with the small stream, now dry, whose former existence is attested by the bridge 30 yds S of the castle. Part of the ditch was still visible in 1860, when it was said to be 16' wide.

The castle comprises an L-shaped tower to which later additions have been made on the NE and SE sides. The tower stands four storeys and a garret high. Though positive evidence is lacking, it may plausibly be ascribed to the 15th century, but the additions, which comprise work of two separate periods, evidently date from the 16th century. On the evidence of a heraldic panel, now at Gilmeadowland farmhouse (NS 954 766), the completion of the second stage of additions was probably 1586. The building was first known as the Castle of Haining, and the original tower appears to have been built by one of the Crawfords of Haining, who owned the property as early as 1425. It was no longer inhabited by 1783.

RCAHMS 1963, visited 1953; Name Book 1860

Almond Castle is as described. It stands in the yard of a brickworks. There is no trace of a ditch.

Visited by OS (JP) 11 January 1974


Photographic Survey (July 1964)

Photographic survey by the Scottish National Buildings Record/Ministry of Work in July 1964.

Field Visit (July 1977)

Almond Castle NS 955 772 NS97NE 3

L-shaped tower-house with additions on NE and SE sides.

RCAHMS 1978, visited July 1977

(RCAHMS 1963, pp. 241-3, No 202)


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions