Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Whitburn, Manse Road, Whitburn Parish Church

Church (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Whitburn, Manse Road, Whitburn Parish Church

Classification Church (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Whitburn South Church

Canmore ID 47782

Site Number NS96SW 4

NGR NS 94686 64587

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/47782

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council West Lothian
  • Parish Whitburn
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District West Lothian
  • Former County West Lothian

Recording Your Heritage Online

Parish Church, Manse Road, 1729, slumbers peacefully on a bluff to the south; a plain cross-plan kirk with round-headed windows, bellcote and perch (lacking harl). Laird's loft within to the Baillies of Polkemmet. Fine monuments; the iron memorial to Elizabeth Burns, daughter of the poet, and the delightful stone to John Weir, mason.

Taken from "West Lothian: An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Stuart Eydmann, Richard Jaques and Charles McKean, 2008. Published by the Rutland Press http://www.rias.org.uk

Architecture Notes

NS96SW 4.00 94686 64587

NS96SW 4.01 94655 64594 Churchyard

NS96SW 4.02 94697 64590 Burial Enclosure (Baillies of Polkemmet Burial Enclosure)

NMRS REFERENCE:

Built 1718 as chapel of ease, became Parish Church 1730. Destroyed by fire 18th December 1955. Restored.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions