Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Hyndford Bridge

Road Bridge (18th Century)

Site Name Hyndford Bridge

Classification Road Bridge (18th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Hyndfordlea; River Clyde

Canmore ID 47630

Site Number NS94SW 35

NGR NS 91479 41460

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/47630

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council South Lanarkshire
  • Parish Lanark
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Clydesdale
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Archaeology Notes

NS94SW 35 91479 41460

Hyndford Bridge [NAT]

OS 1:10,000 map [undated].

Hyndford Bridge [NAT]

OS (GIS) MasterMap, January 2010.

For associated tollhouse (adjacent to S end), see NS94SW 58.

(Location cited as NS 914 414). Hyndford Bridge, built 1773, engineer Alexander Stevens. A 4-span bridge with segmental arches of unequal size. The arch rings are of dressed stone, with rubble spandrels and parapets. There are rounded cutwaters extended upwards to form refuges. Below the parapet is a dentilated cornice.

J R Hume 1976.

Removed from scheduling list (former no. 2766).

Information from Historic Scotland, 22 April 1996.

This bridge carries the A73(T) public road across the River Clyde, which here forms the boundary between the parishes of Lanark (to the N) and Carmichael (to the S).

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 19 March 1997.

Site recorded during an archaeological evaluation conducted on 30 alternative route elements, with a combined length of c84km, for a proposed road linking the M8 near Whitburn, Lothian Region with the M6/M74 near Douglas, Clydesdale District.

NS94SW 35 Bridge

An illustrated report will be deposited with the NMRS.

Sponsor: Roads Directorate of The Scottish Office Industry Department, managed on its behalf by Historic Scotland.

A J Dunwell and R J Strachan 1995.

Activities

Aerial Photography (1935 - 1938)

An collection of aerial photographs taken by Andrew P Hunter from 1935 to 1938. Digitised by Andrew B Wilson in 2008.

Photographic Survey (2006)

Project (2007)

This project was undertaken to input site information listed in 'Civil engineering heritage: Scotland - Lowlands and Borders' by R Paxton and J Shipway, 2007.

Publication Account (2007)

Hyndford Bridge was built from 1771–73 and exhibits a surprising degree of design sophistication for a Scottish bridge of this date. It carries the A73 over the Clyde about two miles south-east of Lanark, and is a five-span sandstone masonry arch bridge. The central arch is of 60 ft span and 17 ft rise, flanked by spans of 55 ft and 30 ft on each side. All are segmental in shape, with a curving moulding over the 212 ft deep archstones.

The approach parapets are adorned by plain masonry obelisks and the clear width between parapets is 19 ft.

The cutwaters are of streamlined curved form – a shape imported from France and also seen on Teviot Bridge,

Kelso, by the same designer. Above the piers are semicircular buttresses rising to parapet level. Several mason marks can be seen on the approaches.

The designer and builder was Alexander Stevens, a leading bridge builder of his time.

R Paxton and S Shipway 2007

Reproduced from 'Civil Engineering heritage: Scotland - Lowlands and Borders' with kind permission of Thomas Telford Publishers.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions