Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Carnwath, Main Street, Cross

Market Cross (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Carnwath, Main Street, Cross

Classification Market Cross (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 47621

Site Number NS94NE 8

NGR NS 97923 46401

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/47621

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council South Lanarkshire
  • Parish Carnwath
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Clydesdale
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Archaeology Notes

NS94NE 8 97923 46401

(NS 9792 4639) Cross (NAT)

OS 25" map (1910)

A 17th century market cross consisting of four steps with a base and cornice, and a square shaft crowned with a deep cornice and pear-shaped finial. On the shaft is an inscription giving mileages from Edinburgh - Ayr.

In 1679 Lord Somerville records a cross having been erected at Carnwath in 1516 by a predecessor, Hugh, Lord Somerville.

J W Small 1900; Orig Paroch Scot 1851

A market cross as described by Small except that the finial was blown down about five years ago and replaced by a small basin-like stone.

Visited by OS (EGC) 8 February 1968

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions