Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Eastend House

Country House (18th Century), Tower House (16th Century)

Site Name Eastend House

Classification Country House (18th Century), Tower House (16th Century)

Canmore ID 47522

Site Number NS93NW 7

NGR NS 94875 37457

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/47522

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council South Lanarkshire
  • Parish Carmichael
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Clydesdale
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Archaeology Notes

NS93NW 7 94875 37457

Eastend House. The oldest visible part of this building, claimed to have more ancient nucleus, is a simple, probably early 16th century keep of coursed rubble, rising three storeys to a crenellated parapet with open rounds at the corners. To this, tall crowstepped wings were added on east and west in 1673, and these in turn were joined up on the south by a typical 18th century bow-fronted addition completely obscuring the keep on that side. In the late 19th century large 'Scottish Baronial' extensions were added on the west.

Only the north front and part of the east side of the tower are now visible.

The property has belonged to the Carmichaels of Eastend from an early date.

N Tranter 1970.

Architecture Notes

NMRS REFERENCE

Architect: David Bryce 1853

EASTEND HOUSE DRAWINGS

A small collection of designs by David Bryce 1855 and related documents including an account by David Ness and Co for chimneypieces and letting particulars 1882.

Site Management (1 June 1993)

Georgian country house built around the nucleus of a simple square keep of c.1500. The tall crowstep-gabled wings to the east and west were added in 1673. The bow-fronted elevation to the south was added in the 18th century and completely encases the original keep on that side. The Scottish Baronial additions to the west date to 1851 and are by David Bryce. The original keep is now only visible along its north front and a little of its east side. It is in coursed and harled rubble and rises through 3 storeys to a crenellated parapet borne on corbels. A gabled garret storey sits above. The first floor string course continues along the 17th century wing to the east.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions