Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Quothquan Church And Churchyard

Burial Ground (17th Century), Church (17th Century), Churchyard (17th Century)

Site Name Quothquan Church And Churchyard

Classification Burial Ground (17th Century), Church (17th Century), Churchyard (17th Century)

Canmore ID 47474

Site Number NS93NE 2

NGR NS 99264 39491

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/47474

Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Bluesky International Limited 2025. Public Sector Viewing Terms

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Quothquan Church And Churchyard, NS93NE 2, Ordnance Survey index card, page number 2, Verso
Quothquan Church And Churchyard, NS93NE 2, Ordnance Survey index card, page number 2, VersoQuothquan Church And Churchyard, NS93NE 2, Ordnance Survey index card, RectoPhotographs and research notes relating to graveyard monuments in Quothquan Churchyard, Lanarkshire. 
Quothquan Church And Churchyard, NS93NE 2, Ordnance Survey index card, Recto

Administrative Areas

  • Council South Lanarkshire
  • Parish Libberton
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Clydesdale
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Archaeology Notes

NS93NE 2 9926 3949.

(NS 9926 3949) Church (NR) (Ruin).

OS 6" map, Lnarkshire, 2nd ed., (1912).

Quothquan church appears as a free parsonage in the mid-13th century, and seems to have continued unappropriated until the Reformation. In the 16th century it is rated along with the vicarage of Pencaithland, in the deanery of Lothian and diocese of St. Andrews.

It was used as a schoolroom after 1724, and later became a burying-place/mausoleum.

Wilson says the churchyard is circular, raised, and surrounded by a rampart and ditch, possibly pre-historic.

Orig Paroch Scot 1850; A Murray and G V Irving 1864; J A Wilson 1936-7.

All that probably remains of Quothquan church is the W gable, complete with belfry and bell, which forms the W wall of a family burial enclosure.

Wilson's 'rampart and ditch' is the old churchyard wall.

Visited by OS(WDJ) 22 January 1968.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions