Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Roberton Parish Church

Church (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Roberton Parish Church

Classification Church (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Roberton Chapel

Canmore ID 47376

Site Number NS92NW 3

NGR NS 94531 28728

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/47376

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2022.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council South Lanarkshire
  • Parish Wiston And Roberton
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Clydesdale
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Architecture Notes

NS92NW 3.00 94531 28728

NS92NW 3.01 94508 28708 Churchyard

The chapel at Roberton, dependent on Wiston parish church, was given to Kelso Abbey between 1153 and 1159. It was erected into a parish church in the first half of the 13th century. The parish was re-united with Wiston in 1772, after which the church was disused. It had been entirely removed by 1858.

Orig Paroch Scot 1851; Name Book 1858; G V Irving and A Murray 1864

NS 9453 2871. The present church, built about 1905, stands on the site of the old church (Information from K Drummond, a resident for 60 years, Toll-Bridge House, Roberton). No trace of the old church can be seen.

Visited by OS (WW), 21 June 1955.

Activities

Geophysical Survey (February 1990)

Detailed survey of several sites in the area prior to the M74 motorway.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions