Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Roberton

Motte (Medieval)

Site Name Roberton

Classification Motte (Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) Moat Farm

Canmore ID 47374

Site Number NS92NW 2

NGR NS 9401 2705

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/47374

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council South Lanarkshire
  • Parish Wiston And Roberton
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Clydesdale
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Archaeology Notes

NS92NW 2 9401 2705

(NS 94012705) Mote (NR)

OS 6" map (1959)

This motte is now a horseshoe in form, its centre having been dug out from the N. If there ever was a bailey, it would naturally occupy the space now occupied by farm buildings.

D Christison 1890; R C Reid 1958

This large, steep-sided motte is 3.0m high and has an overall average diameter of 23.0m. The formerly flat top is 12.0m wide and, except for the SE side where the mound merges into the precipitous slopes of the river-cutting, the mound is surrounded by a ditch 5.0m wide and 0.5m deep. A large crater and northern trench indicates the mutilation of the mound, possibly to obtain material for the banks of a nearby modern dam-pond.

Visited by OS (WW), 21 June 1955.

A motte, as described.

Surveyed at 1:2500.

Visited by OS (BS) 25 July 1978

Examination by Tabraham in June 1976 confirmed that the mound had been artificially constructed with a ditch, steep sided around the inner scarp, along the northern side. The side of the mound had suffered badly from soil slippage sufficiently enough to buy the ditch and radically alter the profile of the mound. It was not possible to say at what time this slippage took place.

Evidence for the existence of a timber structure(s) upon the summit also came to light. Immediately below the turf level, four intrusive features were noted, of which one appeared to be of no great antiquity. At the highest point along the section examined, however, two post pits were visible side by side. These probably carried timbers that formed part of the structure that originally stood on the mound - the caput of the owner, Robert. Another pit which had been cut into the mound immediately below the summit on its northern side may have been part of the palisade trench that would have enclosed the outer limit of the summit.

No artefacts came from the features that were observed, and no attempt was made to excavate them, but one fragment of pottery was recovered from within the primary constuction layer at the base of the mound. This was part of the base of a pot which was probably used for straining. The pot, which was probably imported from Northern France, has been ascribed to the fourteenth century.

C Tabraham 1978.

Destroyed by silage clamp.

Visited by OS, October 1985.

Activities

Excavation (1979)

Examination by Tabraham in June 1976

C Tabraham 1978.

Geophysical Survey (February 1990)

Detailed survey of several sites in the area prior to the M74 motorway.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions