Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Bannockburn, Old Town, Old Bridge

Road Bridge (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Bannockburn, Old Town, Old Bridge

Classification Road Bridge (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) The Brae; The Path; Bannock Burn; Spittal's Bridge

Canmore ID 47247

Site Number NS89SW 15

NGR NS 80761 90446

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/47247

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
© Copyright and database right 2017.

Administrative Areas

  • Council Stirling
  • Parish St Ninians
  • Former Region Central
  • Former District Stirling
  • Former County Stirlingshire

Archaeology Notes

NS89SW 15 80761 90446

Not to be confused with (successor) Bannockburn, New Road, New Bridge (NS 80944 90470), for which see NS89SW 104.

(NS 8076 9044) A panel, placed over the W side of this single-arched bridge over the Bannock Burn is incised with the inscription: 'This bridge was built by Robert Spitall taylor to King James the Fourth 1516 pro patria et posteris. Repaired by the Justices of the Peace 1710. 12 feet added to the breadth by the trustees 1781'. Although this panel can hardly be later in date than the late 18th century, it may embody an authentic tradition. Stirling Burgh Records also note repairs to the bridge in 1631.

The overall width of the bridge is 24'6" [7.5m], with the original structure forming the eastern 11'10" [3.6m]. The overall length, including approaches, is 158' [48.1m].

RCAHMS 1963, visited 1956.

As described.

Visited by OS (JP), 20 December 1973.

(Location cited as NS 808 904). Bridge, Bannockburn. Built 1516, widened 1781. A small segmental-arched bridge, with dressed-stone arch ring, and part dressed-stone, part rubble spandrels.

J R Hume 1976.

This bridge carries a public road over the Bannock Burn within the area of Bannockburn village (NS89SW 32). It is depicted, but not noted, on the 1979 edition of the OS 1:10,000 map.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 2 June 2006.

Bridge was repaired and re-pointed during October 2011 (information via email from Mr J White on 31/10/2011).

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions