Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Blairlogie, The Blair

House (Period Unassigned), Tower House (16th Century)

Site Name Blairlogie, The Blair

Classification House (Period Unassigned), Tower House (16th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Blairlogie Castle

Canmore ID 47163

Site Number NS89NW 7

NGR NS 82751 96964

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/47163

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Stirling
  • Parish Logie (Stirling)
  • Former Region Central
  • Former District Stirling
  • Former County Stirlingshire

Archaeology Notes

NS89NW 7.00 82751 96964

NS89NW 7.01 82737 96968 Sundial

(NS 8275 9697) The Blair (NAT)

formerly Blairlogie Castle (NR)

OS 6" map (1958)

Apart from modern additions on N and E, the building now known as The Blair, formerly Blairlogie Castle, embodies work of two periods, having originally consisted of a small tower, erected by Alexander Spittal in 1543, and a wing added in 1582. Both tower and wing are two storeys and an attic in height. In general, the walls are 2'4" thick, rubble-built and harled; the gables are crow-stepped and the roof is slated. The tower retains four early windows, and in addition a modern projecting window has been inserted in the S gable.

RCAHMS 1963, visited 1952

This building is as described. Externally it is not outstanding.

Visited by OS (JP) 12 December 1973.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions