Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Alva, St Serf's Parish Church

Church (Medieval), Church (17th Century), Church (19th Century)

Site Name Alva, St Serf's Parish Church

Classification Church (Medieval), Church (17th Century), Church (19th Century)

Alternative Name(s) St Serf's Church

Canmore ID 47058

Site Number NS89NE 14

NGR NS 88741 97324

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/47058

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Clackmannan
  • Parish Alva
  • Former Region Central
  • Former District Clackmannan
  • Former County Clackmannanshire

Archaeology Notes

NS89NE 14.00 88741 97324

NS89NE 14.01 8873 9733 Hydraulic Engine

NS89NE 14.02 88733 97311 Churchyard

NS89NE 14.03 88692 97289 Manse

See also NS89NE 22.

(NS 8873 9733) Church on Supposed Site of St. Servanus' Church (NR)

OS 6" map (1924)

Into the west gable of the modern parish church (1815) is built a stone bearing the Bruce arms and 1631and 1637 the date of the predecessor of the present church. The church of Alva was granted to Cambuskenneth in 1260.

RCAHMS 1933; New Statistical Account (NSA) 1845

The present building appears to be entirely modern.

Visited by OS (FDC) 4 July 1950

Architecture Notes

NS89NE 14.00 88741 97324

NS89NE 14.01 8873 9733 Hydraulic Engine

NS89NE 14.02 88733 97311 Churchyard

NS89NE 14.03 88692 97289 Manse

REFERENCE - Scottish Record Office

Report on the condition of the church and a new petition to James Johnstone of Alva by the parishioners to give them a new church or repair the present one.

1815 GD 1/727/1

GD 1/727/2

Activities

Field Visit (August 1977)

Traditional site of the medieval church of St Servanus; a new church was erected in 1631, and this was replaced in the 19th century by the present church of St Serf, which incorporates datestones of 1631 and 1637. There are no visible signs of any earlier church, but the graveyard contains stones of 17th-century date.

RCAHMS 1978, visited August 1977.

Sources: Stat. Acct. xviii (1796), 137-9; RCAHMS 1933, No. 603

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions