Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Falkirk, Camelon

Carved Stone (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Falkirk, Camelon

Classification Carved Stone (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 46940

Site Number NS88SE 40

NGR NS 8686 8048

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Falkirk
  • Parish Falkirk
  • Former Region Central
  • Former District Falkirk
  • Former County Stirlingshire

Archaeology Notes

NS88SE 40 8686 8048.

In December 1901 a sculptured stone was found on the S side of the Falkirk-Glasgow road at Camelon when preparing the foundations of a house. It lay face downwards under a tree at a depth of about 3ft in a strip of plantation between the road and the policy of Camelon House. The exact spot was 38ft S from an old wall bounding the road, and 53ft W from the entrance road leading to the house, 40ft E from the junction of the Larbert and Glasgow roads (ie. c.NS 8686 8048).

The stone is 4ft 3ins high by 18 1/2ins broad. It depicts a Roman cavalryman on horseback with shield and upraised sword in high relief in the upper panel; and in the smaller panel below, the prostrate body of a native with fallen sword and square shield. There is no inscription. Because of inaccuracies in certain details of the sculptures, the stone is believed to be a 19th century forgery (G Maxwell 1973).

T Ross 1902


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions