Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Slamannan, Main Street, Slamannan Parish Church And St Laurence's Well

Church (Period Unassigned), Well (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Slamannan, Main Street, Slamannan Parish Church And St Laurence's Well

Classification Church (Period Unassigned), Well (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Manse Place

Canmore ID 46808

Site Number NS87SE 2

NGR NS 85613 73397

NGR Description and NS 8578 7323

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/46808

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Falkirk
  • Parish Slamannan
  • Former Region Central
  • Former District Falkirk
  • Former County Stirlingshire

Archaeology Notes

NS87SE 2.00 85613 73397 and 8578 7323 (Lawrence's Well)

NS87SE 2.01 85661 73419 Churchyard

Slamannan parish church was built in 1810, presumably on the site of the earlier church, which was dedicated to St Laurence, though the ONB (1860) states that a mound similar to the motte (NS87SE 1) was levelled to form its site.

St Laurence's Well (extant on OS 6" 1922) and the High St Laurence Well, 60 yds SSE, are both noted as holy wells by Walker (1883), but the ONB states that only the former was regarded as holy. In 1953, St Laurence's Well no longer existed as such, having been covered with a concrete and iron manhole and made part of a sewerage system. The High St Laurence Well had been filled up.

RCAHMS 1963, visited 1953

The parish church stands on a slight mound which appears to be wholly natural. The sewerage housing over St Laurence's Well has collapsed, but no vestiges of a well can be seen.

Visited by OS (JLD) 21 March 1957

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions