Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Stonebyres

Country House (Period Unassigned), Tower House (Medieval)

Site Name Stonebyres

Classification Country House (Period Unassigned), Tower House (Medieval)

Canmore ID 46661

Site Number NS84SW 11

NGR NS 84131 43860

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/46661

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council South Lanarkshire
  • Parish Lesmahagow
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Clydesdale
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Archaeology Notes

NS84SW 11 84131 43860

(NS 8413 4386) Stonebyres (NR)

OS 6" map (1940-1)

Stonebyres was in existence in the 15th century and, prior to 1850, when the present mansion encasing the old structure was erected, consisted of the original keep, 34 feet by 29 feet, with an addition at one end making it an oblong tower approximately 70 feet by 34 feet, five stories high.

D MacGibbon and T Ross 1887

The mansion is being demolished.

Visited by OS (JFC) 11 March 1954

The walls of the Tower can still be seen; they are approximately 0.3m high.

Information from OS Reviser (T H Dick) 20 December 1962

Architecture Notes

NMRS REFERENCE:

Architect: John Baird (Primus) - extensive additions. D. Hamilton worked there 1840

Demolished: 1934

The estate was sold to Messrs. Kennoway & Fraser, Estate Agents, 9 South Charlotte Street, Edinburgh,

who then resold it to the Department of Agriculture reserving the house for demolition.

The modern additions are of two periods, c.1850, 1907-14;

the old house is probably of two periods also, including a 15th centrury tower.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions