Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Bonnington Pavilion

Pavilion (18th Century)

Site Name Bonnington Pavilion

Classification Pavilion (18th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Bonninton Pavilion; Corra Linn Pavilion; Falls Of Clyde, Summerhouse

Canmore ID 46622

Site Number NS84SE 57

NGR NS 88486 41473

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/46622

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council South Lanarkshire
  • Parish Lanark
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Clydesdale
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Site Management (26 September 2008)

Gazebo overlooking the Falls of Clyde. Ashlar fronted, rusticated quoins, moulded architraves to windows, pyramidal slate roof.

Bonnington House was demolished in the 1950s. It was designed by Gillespie Graham who also carried out work for Sir Charles and Lady Ross at Balnagowan. The pavilion at Corra Linn has a complex history. A datestone proclaims its existence from 1708, but it has been much altered. The interior is described in the Ordnance Name Book as being fitted with mirrors.

The direction from which the building is approached has also been changed. The paths around the view house were added to in the first quarter of the 19th century by Lady Mary Ross, this being recorded by letters cut into one of the steps below the view house 'Designed by Lady Mary Ross A.D. 1829. Lady Mary Ross was the wife of Sir Charles Lockhart-Ross 7th Bt., who had been Lady Mary Fitzgerald daughter of the Duke of Leinster. While the Lockhart-Rosses were making improvements at Bonnington similarly, changes were being made to their Highland estate Balnagowan (q.v.), where they also had a house overlooking a river. Lady Mary Ross was obviously a keen gardener who improved both estates. There were walks all the way along to Bonnington Linn. These can be seen clearly in an aerial photograph of 1946.

Like Corehouse, Bonnington was also open to the public and Black's Tourist Guide, 1879 records that tickets may be bought at any of the hotels in Lanark. It was also possible to engage local guides if required. (Historic Scotland)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions