Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

Boghouse

Tower House (Medieval)(Possible)

Site Name Boghouse

Classification Tower House (Medieval)(Possible)

Alternative Name(s) Boghouse Castle

Canmore ID 46446

Site Number NS82SE 2

NGR NS 8783 2356

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/46446

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council South Lanarkshire
  • Parish Crawfordjohn
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Clydesdale
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Archaeology Notes

NS82SE 2 8783 2356.

(NS 8783 2356) Castle (NR) (Site of).

OS 6" map (1957)

Forrest shows the ruins of a castle at Boghouse on his map (of 1816). Faint vestiges remained in 1836, but no traces could be seen in 1858. The New Statistical Account (NSA) states that material taken from the castle at Crawfordjohn was used in the construction of this building, which the Ordnance Survey Name Book (ONB) suggests was possibly a peel tower, similar to others in the area.

G V Irving and A Murray 1864; W Forrest 1816; NSA 1845 (W Goldie); Name Book 1858

This site falls in the level yard of the present farm of Boghouse. No traces remain, and no local information was obtained.

Visited by OS (JD) 13 July 1955

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions