Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

Crawfordjohn

Tower House (Medieval)(Possible)

Site Name Crawfordjohn

Classification Tower House (Medieval)(Possible)

Canmore ID 46443

Site Number NS82SE 1

NGR NS 8794 2385

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/46443

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council South Lanarkshire
  • Parish Crawfordjohn
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Clydesdale
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Archaeology Notes

NS82SE 1 8794 2385

(NS 8794 2385) Castle (NR) (Site of).

OS 6" map (1957)

There is a tradition that there was originally a castle close to Crawfordjohn village. All vestiges of it have disappeared within the memory of people living in 1864. The materials from this castle were used to build the one at Boghouse (NS82SE 2).

New Statistical Account (NSA) 1845 (W Goldie); G V Irving and A Murray 1864.

This site falls on a slight eminence, the highest point in the village, now waste ground. No trace was found of any building and no local information was obtained.

The Ordnance Survey Name Book (ONB, 1858) suggests that this was possibly a peel tower, similar to others in the area.

Visited by OS (JD) 13 July 1955.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions