Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Whitecleuch

Chain (Silver)(Pictish)

Site Name Whitecleuch

Classification Chain (Silver)(Pictish)

Alternative Name(s) Brocklaw Rig

Canmore ID 46402

Site Number NS81NW 5

NGR NS 811 198

NGR Description NS c. 811 198

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/46402

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council South Lanarkshire
  • Parish Crawfordjohn
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Clydesdale
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Archaeology Notes

NS81NW 5 c. 811 198.

A massive Pictish silver chain of 22 pairs of large circular links and a broad open ring, the latter engraved with typical symbols (J A Smith 1875), which may have fastened the two ends to form a choker neck ornament, from Whitecleugh, is in the National Museum of Antiquities of Scotland (Accession no: FC 150).

J G Clark 1880; NMAS Catalogue 1892

It was found in May 1869 in the side of a drain about 135 yds N of the Dumfriesshire county boundary, 1 1/2 miles, measuring along that boundary, W of Crawick Water, and 1 mile S of the "old camp" near Shieldholm (NS82SW 2). (Smith erroneously gives the provenance as "in the district adjoining Drumlanrig Castle"- NX 851 992).

F T Wainwright 1955

Area centred NS 811 198. Sited from topographical description above. A more exact location could not be made.

Visited by OS (JD) 16 July 1955.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions