Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Durisdeer, Kirkbride Churchyard

Church (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Durisdeer, Kirkbride Churchyard

Classification Church (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Kirkbride, Kirk

Canmore ID 46309

Site Number NS80NE 2

NGR NS 85477 05657

NGR Description Centred on NS 85477 05657

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/46309

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Administrative Areas

  • Council Dumfries And Galloway
  • Parish Durisdeer
  • Former Region Dumfries And Galloway
  • Former District Nithsdale
  • Former County Dumfries-shire

Archaeology Notes

NS80NE 2 Centred on NS 85477 05657.

(NS 8547 0565) Kirkbride (NR) (remains of).

OS 6" map (1962)

Kirkbride, anciently Kirkbride, Church belonged to Holyrood Abbey in the early 13th century. The parish was divided and annexed to the parishes of Sanquhar and Durisdeer in 1732. The remains at this site are of a church probably built in the early 16th century; it is orientated and has a sacristy projecting from the N wall.

G Chalmers 1890; RCAHMS 1920, visited 1912; D MacGibbon and T Ross 1897

The remains of Kirkbride (name verified), oriented NW-SE, are situated in an old burial ground. They comprise a ruined rectangular building 14.7 m by 6.0 m over walling 0.9 m thick which stands from 0.5 m to 2.0 m high with the east gable almost entire. There is a 3.4 m by 3.9 m sacristy on the north and the fragmentary remains of a doorway and several windows in the south wall. (Visited by OS (WDJ) 23 July 1959)

Surveyed at 1:2500.

Visited by OS (TRG) 10 January 1978

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions