Stirling Town Wall
Town Wall (16th Century)
Site Name Stirling Town Wall
Classification Town Wall (16th Century)
Canmore ID 46212
Site Number NS79SE 35
NGR NS 79451 93409
NGR Description Centred NS 79451 93409
Datum OSGB36 - NGR
Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/46212
- Council Stirling
- Parish Stirling
- Former Region Central
- Former District Stirling
- Former County Stirlingshire
NS79SE 35.00 79 93
(NS 7944 9342) Town Wall (NR)
OS 6" map (1958)
NS79SE 35.01 NS 79438 93420 Bastion
NS79SE 35.02 NS 79664 93218 Gateway
NS79SE 35.03 NS 7973 9327 Bastion
NS79SE 35.04 NS 7971 9333 Gateway
NS79SE 35.05 NS 7962 9359 Gateway
The site on which the medieval burgh of Stirling grew up was naturally strong and well suited for defence. These natural defences may have been considered sufficient, but it is more probable that Stirling, like other burghs, possessed artificial defences of at least a rudimentary type from an early date. No material evidence for these structures survives.
Both documentary and architectural evidence suggests that the portions of the Town Wall visible today were erected in the 16th century.
The line of the wall is shown by Laye in 1725. Laye does not show a North Wall, and it may be assumed that the rear enclosure walls of the outer tenements were considered to give sufficient protection.
Although Laye's plan indicates that the wall began at the SE angle of the castle, no portion is visible NW of Cowane's Hospital (at NS 7616 9367). Indeed it is possible that the Town Wall proper did not connect with the Castle, but either began near the Holy Rude Church or else returned towards Argyll's Lodging along the line of the garden as indicated by Laye as lying behind Mar's Work. A view of the town painted in 1673 or 1674, now in the Smith Institute, Stirling, supports this theory, which, however, cannot be reconciled with Laye's plan.
Between Cowane's Hospital and the Military Prison (at NS 7920 9360) the footings of the original wall may perhaps survive, but the upper portion has been rebuilt. The stretch now forming the rear wall of the Prison seems to have been completely rebuilt, but SE of this point there is a well-preserved section which runs as far as Academy Road (NS 7932 9351). The wall rises to a height of 23' and its thickness at the base, where measured, was 5'. The lower portion has a noticeable batter and the uppermost few feet, with the crenelles, are comparatively recent. Crudely formed gun-loops may be seen at intervals. The wall is broken at Academy Road and although the rear wall of the High School no doubt follows the old alignment, little of the original structure survives. SE of the High School the wall curves inwards, and at least its lower portion is original. Fifty feet SE of the beginning of the curve a semicircular relieving-arch may be traced in the masonry, but its purpose is obscure. The wall returns sharply at the E end of the curve, and from there runs to a bastion (NS79SE 35.1). From there it continues to the Council Offices (NS 7947 9340). The wall reappears E of the Public Library (NS 7952 9336) and runs to NS 7960 9327. The maximum height of this sector is 16'6", and where measured, it was 6'3" thick. There are no remains between NS 7960 9327 and the Barras-Yett (NS79SE 35.2). Of the section of wall that ran from the Barras-Yett to the Port Street bastion (NS79SE 35.3) only the last 30' or so survives, incorporated in a building within the yard of the Kinross Company Carriage Works. No remains of the wall were found N of this bastion, and the point at which it ended is uncertain.
In general, the Town Wall is roughly built of random rubble, the gun-loops are rectangular, and the height at which some are placed suggests that some sort of timber walk must have been necessary. The wall was founded on outcrops of natural rock wherever possible. The many blocked-up doorways now seen in the Wall formed no part of the original structure.
RCAHMS 1963, visited 1955
The extant portions of the Town Wall are as shown on the RCAHMS plan and published on OS 25".
Visited by OS (JP) 11 December 1973.
External Reference (2 September 2011)
Scheduled (with NS79SE 35.03) as 'Stirling, town wall & bastion & port Street Bastion atr 44 Bastion Wynd [comprisuing] five separate sections of the 16th-century defences of the town of Stirling.'
Information from Historic Scotland, scheduling document dated 2 September 2011.
